Monday 9 February 2009

Lost in translation

I met a girl who lives in Brazil and she doesn't speak English very well. She admits that, so at least she's honest about that. But it's still funny, and I mean no disrespect. Yet I have come to think that she translates everything word to word and doesn't backtranslate to make sure the meaning stayed the same. I'll show you why backtranslation is impotant using Google Translate:

Original English sentence: The apples are big.
English to Portuguese: As maçãs são grandes.
The same thing back to English: Apples are great.

The funniest thing she have said to me is my eyes saw you on orkut? when she relly meant you saw my eyes on Orkut? (I complimented her eyes after seeing her pictures on Orkut).

The sentence that made the least sense was I hear you speak and then if I liked! (I gave her a link to an album and said she might like it).

1 comment:

Peeter said...

The dangers on literal transation:

- hi!!
- I am dj of the brasil I have you vary music with Latin interferences.
- do I like to change music, some kindred dj of changing music?
- are you of where?
- which your name?