Sunday 10 October 2010

Happy birthday!

Once upon a time there was a battle in Castle Age. A friend asked me to help with 168-hour monster which had only four players. Now, it had 100 hours left, but I deemed it hopeless. I will explain the reason later. Since she was my good friend, and explained the situation with more words than just plz hlp, I did a CTA. I choose not to join at first, but when I saw hope, I joined. The thing is, in that CTA I wrote something along the lines of it seems pretty hopeless, but maybe we can do it.

It seems that the girl was still mad at me for deeming it hopeless. She threw that in my face. And of course, as always, people unload their bad feelings about me, and then come up with excuses not to hear my explanations. Her's was that it was her weekend, and she wanted not to spoil it with further discussions. Well, why the fuck not? Did she ever think that it might have hurt my feelings when she accused me of cocky ignorance when I knew it wasn't that?

A little explanation I managed to do, was, and I quote: I operate on logic, and if I see a battle with mathematical tendency to fail, I say my opinion. You seem to miss the point - I did not post to show that it was pointless and you fail as a human, I posted because you asked me to help, and since you were in my army, I wanted to see if I could. She was not satisfied with that. And I did not have the chance to explain my logic.

It’s very simple. The basis of Castle Age is mathematics. 168, which is the given time for big monsters, divided by 2, is 84. That means 50% of 168 is 84. That leads to the deduction that if the monster has 84 hours left, or 50% time, and the fighters have not done 50% damage by far, meaning they have done about 30% or less, it is certain that if the current damage rate continues, the monster would not be defeated. In numbers, at 0% time there would be 60% damage (in case of 30% damage by 50% time). Everything in between is mere change of numbers, like when the monster has 30% of time, it is needed for 70% damage to be done. Since siege weapons still do damage, not carrots, they are included by default.

I admit it is possible that when a 168-hour monster has 3 hours left, and only 35% damage has been made, but it has 3 high tier spots left, three slayers with 2,000 attack and some favour points join, and finish the monster. It is called luck. I have seen the mentioned situation with my own eyes. But I think that while hoping for some luck is reasonable, counting on a shitload of luck is straight out moronic. And that is why I do not join monsters I deem hopeless.

Concerning that Ragnarok – it had 4 players, and if no one, or a few, had joined, it would have failed. I felt it was my duty to warn people that it may fail.

And, believe or not, there are people to whom that whole post did not give any new information... Since they had figured it all out themselves.

No comments: