Friday 17 December 2010

Ohh... Memories

Peeter:
Oh... My mouse stopped working.
Diana:
There are always keyboard shortcuts.
Peeter:
Not for everything, sadly.
Diana:
Nope, not for everything.
Peeter:
I have batteries for that.
Diana:
I didn't know it was a wireless one. I'm used to mouses being attached to the computer and not needing batteries.
Peeter:
I use two computers most of the time. Helix & Mimosa. Both have optical mice.
Diana:
I didn't know that. About the mice. I use the one with my laptop. Any desktop I use has a wired mouse.
Peeter:
Oh, sorry. I don't know why I used the wrong term again. All my mice are optical, those two are wireless.
Diana:
I understood that, you were correct.
Peeter:
I was, yes, but in addition of being optical, they were also wireless.
Diana:
Ah. They are two different things, aren't they? Optical means it doesn't come with a ball, it has a laser to tell how its moving.
Peeter:
Exactly.
Peeter:
I am not sure though... The computer that is currently in the kitchen might have a "ball" mouse. That computer has Windows 2000. It was bought in 2002 maybe. It was discharged from work this year.
Diana:
Might still have a ball mouse. 90's for sure, early 2000 is iffy. Depends how much was spent originally on the computer.
Peeter:
Hold on.
Peeter:
Yes, it's a ball mouse. But it's got scroll. And of course, not USB, but PS/2.
Peeter:
Do you know PS/2 is not the oldest? I have even used serial mouse. I bet you'd be confused if someone came to you with a serial mouse and a 1.44" floppy. Have you got 1.44 floppy drive?
Diana:
Excuse me? We used to have a Commodore 64. I'm used to a 5 1/2 inch floppy.
Peeter:
Oh. For old time's sake, I'd want a 5½ floppy drive. I even have some 5½ floppies. I have 1.44 floppy drive on that 2002 computer. I also had one on my sixth I bought in 2002, my first one I bought with my own money. I sold it for $2 US two years ago. Would have given it away, but we settled for a symbolic price.
Diana:
I have an external 1.44 that hooks up by usb port. My dad bought if for me to go with my first laptop. I needed something to transfer data from my laptop to other computers to print. At the time USB keys were really expensive for a small amount of space. This was 8 years ago now. The CD drive that came with it was not a R/W drive.
Peeter:
You know, at my university... I was one of the only ones to have homework on CDs... Later on I just uploaded it.
Peeter:
It's sad though. Teenagers and those who are toddlers now won't even know floppies. I remember I brought a 70 MB game to school... on floppies. It took like 40 floppies. I didn't have that many, so we brought it in in parts. And, of course, my hard disc space was 1.2 GB, so not to spare. I had deleted the RARs (RAR can pack in parts), and of course, at school, it appeared that one floppy was fucked, and thus I had to go home, redo the RARs and hope the one to be replaced fit to the ones I've made earlier.
Diana:
Sounds like a lot of work for just one game. Hope it was worth it.
Peeter:
Fun time. Annoying then, but a fond memory
Diana:
I need to go to bed. It's getting late for me.
Peeter:
Bye
Diana:
Bye.

To all my Estonian readers, this conversation actually was in English. It would have been lame to translate, if it were in Estonian.

No comments: